Most visitors travelling to Santorini depart from Athens’ port of Piraeus (main port), situated only 12km away from the city center. There are 6 ferry companies with both high-speed and conventional vessels operating 6 ferry crossings daily during the summer season (May-October). During low season, the ferry crossings are down to 2 daily.
Another way to travel to Santorini from Athens is from Rafina port, located only a short distance from Athens International Airport. During the summer season, there are 2-3 daily ferry crossings to Santorini.
> Book your ferry tickets from Athens (Piraeus) to Santorini
• How long is the ferry trip from Athens to Santorini?
The duration of the ferry trip from Athens to Santorini ranges between 4h20m up to a maximum of 10 hours, whereas an average time is 5h30m. This depends on a few variants: the type of vessel (conventional or high-speed), the port of departure (Piraeus or Rafina), the in-between stops to other islands and the weather conditions.
• How much is the ferry from Athens to Santorini?
Prices depend on the ferry type (conventional or high-speed) and the port of departure (Piraeus or Rafina). Some indicative prices are:
- €38 for the conventional Blue Star Ferries from Piraeus with trip duration at 7hrs 45m.
- €79.7 for the high-speed ferry with SeaJets from Piraeus and trip duration at 4hrs 50m.
- €60 for the high-speed ferry with Golden Star Ferries from Piraeus and trip duration at 4hrs 30m.
- €60 the high-speed ferry with Golden Star Ferries from Rafina and trip duration at 4hrs 20m
There are two types of vessels operating the route from Athens to Santorini: the conventional ferries mainly run by Blue Star Ferries company and high-speed ferries run by SeaJets and Golden Star Ferries companies.
> Conventional ferries
The conventional type of ferry consists of a large vessel with many indoor-outdoor spaces and a garage. If you are traveling with a dog, there is an organised kennel but depending on the vessel you can also keep your dog with you on the deck. You will find restaurants, fast food options, cafes and small shops with magazines and miscellaneous products. Air conditioning exists in all interior spaces. The trip with a conventional Blue Star Ferry is the most popular. Difficult weather conditions such as strong winds, do not affect this type of vessel a lot and it is always on time. Also, the trip is quite pleasant thanks to its size and spaces and you get to enjoy the beautiful sea views along with lunch or coffee. Lastly, a big advantage of this ferry type is the garage option for your vehicle. For an extra fee, you can take it with you to Santorini.
Types of seats: Deck/Economy, Air seats/Economy, Air seat/Business, cabins with/without a view.
Price range: €38 - €109
Vehicule: €28.5 (Moto), €91.5 (Car)
Timetable: During the summer season, there are 1-2 ferry crossings daily for this type of vessel to/from Piraeus/Santorini and 1 to/from Rafina.
> High-speed ferries
The high-speed ferries are smaller ferries operating at greater speeds than conventional ones. There are limited outdoor spaces and passengers remain mainly in the indoor area. Only a limited number of airplane-type seats are available and just one or two coffee shops on deck for passengers.
The vessel’s interior is air-conditioned. The SeaJets (Worldchampion jet) ferry has a garage and you may bring your vehicle from Athens to Santorini, but the Seajet 2 and the Golden Star Ferries are only passenger type ferries and you cannot transfer a vehicle.
The big advantage of choosing high-speed ferries is that the journey is much shorter. Keep in mind that since they are small vessels, bad weather conditions (strong winds during summer months) affect them easily and delays may occur quite often. In case you are travelling with strong winds, you might feel a bit seasick.
Types seats: Airplane seat/Economy, Airplane seat/Business and Airplane seat/Vip.
Price range: €60- €109
Vehicule price range: €27(Moto), €89 - €165 (Car)
Timetable: During the summer season, there are 3-4 ferry crossings daily for this type of vessel to/from Piraeus/Santorini and 1-2 to/from Rafina/Santorini.
• Indicative Timetables
Check our booking engine for precise timetables.
- From Athens Piraeus to Santorini
- • 06:50am Golden Star Ferries (5h)
- • 07:00am SeaJets (4h30m)
- • 07:00am SeaJets (4h50m)
- • 07:25am Blue Star Ferries (7h25m)
- From Santorini to Athens Piraeus
- • 07:00am Blue Star Ferries (8h)
- • 11:50am Golden Star Ferries (5h30m)
- • 12:10pm SeaJets (4h50m)
- • 15:00pm SeaJets (5h40m)
- • 15:30pm Blue Star Ferries (7h45m)
- From Athens Rafina to Santorini
- • 07:15am Golden Star Ferries (4h20m)
- From Santorini to Athens Rafina
- • 12:05pm Golden Star Ferries (4h50m)