In brief, Santorini airport is an international airport and receives daily flights from Athens but also seasonal flights (May to October) from more than 20 European cities. To get to Santorini from other islands, the ferry is the only option.
Santorini International Airport JTR is one of the few available in the Cyclades and probably the busiest, especially during the high season (from spring to autumn).
It is located on the eastern side of the island, in the area of Monolithos. It lies around 6 km southeast of Fira and 6 km from the main ferry port (Athinios) that serves ferries to many Greek islands (Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, and more).
The travel distance between the airport of Santorini and pretty much any location on the island is approximately 10-20 minutes by car.
It welcomes not only domestic flights, but also direct flights from European countries such as the UK, Germany, France, and more.
The airport was constructed in 1976 with a traditional Cycladic design, while the implementation of a renovation project began in 2017.
Planes & Helicopters
The airport (JTR) receives scheduled flights to Santorini from numerous other countries during the high season, as well as from other places in Greece (Athens, Thessaloniki, and Heraklion).
In addition to the scheduled commercial airlines, it accepts private jets, helicopters, smaller aircraft, and other charter flights from Greece and abroad.
From there, it is also possible to fly from Santorini to other Cycladic islands with one stop in Athens.
How to get to & leave the airport
Distances from: Oia: 17 km / 10.5 miles | Port: 6 km / 3.7 miles | Fira: 5.1 Km / 3.1 miles | Kamari: 5.5 Km / 3.4 miles
Public Airport bus
The airport of Santorini is connected to other locations on the island via public bus routes (KTEL) that are regular during the summer.
In order to leave, passengers may catch the bus to Fira. You can buy a ticket directly from the conductor for 1.80€.
The bus station at the airport is situated between the buildings of the arrivals and departures. There is one route per hour, starting at around 05.00 and ending at 20.00.
At Fira, you will need to purchase a new ticket and take another bus to reach other destinations, including the port.
A public bus may not always be convenient but it is the cheapest way to get to/leave the airport. Note that a public bus may be subject to delay.
All KTEL buses offer luggage storage space.
Bus routes from the airport
Below, you can find information about how to get to touristy villages and beaches in Santorini by bus from the airport:
• Airport to Fira: Direct connection to Fira (5 km).
• Airport to Oia: Bus to Fira (5 km) and then Fira to Oia (12 km). Oia is the terminal station.
• Airport to Firostefani & Imerovigli: Bus to Fira (5 km) and then take the route from Fira to Oia (12 km). The stations of Firostefani and Imerovigli are located on this route.
• Airport to Pyrgos & Akrotiri: Bus to Fira (5 km) and then take the route from Fira to Akrotiri (11 km). The stations of Pyrgos are located on this route.
• Airport to Megalochori & Perissa: Bus to Fira (5 km) and then take the route from Fira to Perissa. The stations of Megalochori are located on this route.
• Airport to Kamari: Bus to Fira (5 km) and then take the route from Fira to Kamari. Kamari is the terminal station.
Tip: If you decide to use public transfers, the bus doesn’t always make a stop everywhere unless you tell the driver to do so.
If you don’t know where your bus stop lies, inform the driver where you’re heading, so he can make a stop at your destination.
Transfers & Taxis
Most of the time, there will be a few taxis waiting at the arrivals gate of the airport of Santorini but to play it safe, it is highly recommended to book a transfer service in advance and jump on your taxi, minibus, or private VIP car immediately. Alternatively, you can arrange a pickup directly with your hotel or some local drivers at the following numbers: 0030 690 679 4316, 0030 22860 22555
If you have just arrived at the airport of Santorini and would like to rent a car, you will find a few car rental desks on-site.
Alternatively, it is possible to arrange a car rental in advance. It is one of the best options, as you have the opportunity to select the vehicle that you want and keep it for as many days as you desire.
The car parking area functions as a pick-up station for car rentals. In cooperation with the best local car rental agencies, we offer the best prices and our service is rated .
➜ Book your car with us!
Last but not least, several accommodation facilities offer airport shuttle services, usually for an extra charge. Contact your accommodation for more information.
At the Santorini airport, you will encounter a waiting lounge and a cafeteria where you can grab a snack or something to drink. There are ATM machines, currency exchange facilities, car rental offices, and a few shops. There is also a small car parking area where you can park free of charge, but it only offers a limited number of spots. Additional facilities provided at the airport include free WiFi access, charging stations for electronic devices, and luggage carts for your belongings. The region around the airport is full of hotels and other lodging types, and you will also find a few cafes and restaurants.
• ATM: The are 3 ATM machines available at the arrival gate and the external area.
• Currency exchange: One office at the airport offers currency exchange at the arrival gate.
• Coffee shops: Two coffee shops are available. Aircanteen offers pies, sandwiches, pizza, salads and desserts, and Ontime Coffee & More.
• Duty-free shop: A duty-free shop is available where you can purchase perfumes & cosmetics, tobacco products, spirits, confectionery, Greek gourmet, toys, electronics, watches, and more.
• WiFi: The airport offers internet access for free. You just need to select the network "Fraport-Free" on your mobile device and launch your browser.
Near the airport
If you would like to explore the area around the airport as soon as you arrive in Santorini or before you depart, the closest villages you can visit are Messaria, at 3 km, and Karterados, at 4 km. The nearest beaches are Monolithos and Kamari, while a few traditional wineries lie in the area. You may find some of them here.