All 26 Kefalonia Sightseeing
Here are all the Kefalonia sightseeing that we suggest. Have a look on various attractions that you can see during your visit in Kefalonia, such as churches, monasteries, museums, castles and other sights.
All sightseeing in Kefalonia
The Monastery of Agios Gerasimos is located on a mountainside close to Valsamata village, in the centre of the island. This is where the protector saint of the island lived as a monk and where his relics are kept. People believe that their saint has miraculous skills.
Ancient Sami was a powerful fortified town whose ruins are found in Lapitha Mountain, over the port town of Sami Kefalonia. Excavations have brought to light ancient walls, Roman houses, tombs and other sights.
This museum houses various findings from the prehistoric, the Hellenistic and the Roman period. The best part of the collection is from the Mycenaean period and consists of coins, swords, sculptures, ceramics and tools.
The Castle of Assos stands in a peninsula right in front of the village. It used to be one of the strongest castles of Kefalonia but today it has suffered many damages.
Located in the area of Lassi, this natural cave is where Saint Gerassimos, patron of the island, stayed until he went to Omalos valley, where he reorganised the present monastery. A small church has been built into the cave in honour of the saint and attracts many pilgrims. From this spot, one can enjoy a fantastic view over the sea.
The way to go to the walls is pretty simple. They are near the main road that goes from Argostoli to Sami. When you get close to a village called Razata, you will see a sign that says Cylopean Walls.
This interesting museum is housed in the ground floor of the Corgialenion Library, in the capital of Kefalonia. It has been founded in order to preserve the memories of Kefalonia before the earthquake of 1953.
The Iakovatios Museum and Library is housed in the remarkable Neoclassical house of Iakovatios-Typaldos in Lixouri. It houses many rare books and manuscripts, while the decoration is impressive.
On a hill above Lassi, there is a memorial to the 632 soldiers of the Italian Acqui Military Division that were executed by the Nazi troops on September 23rd, 1943, outside the village of Troianata Kefalonia. This war crime was unknown to Italy till the early 1980s and it became widely known through the movie "Captain Corelli's Mandolin".
Partly destroyed by the strong earthquake of 1953, the Byzantine convent of Agios Andreas has since been restored and turned into a fine museum housing a unique collection of wonderful Byzantine icons and ecclesiastical items. The plaster that fell off the walls of the church during the earthquake revealed some fantastic frescoes dating back from the 16th century.
The Monastery of Agrilion stands on the top of the hill of Sami and is dedicated to Virgin Mary Theotokos. It was built during the 18th century on the site where the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary was found, in 1722, by two shepherds who decided after the discovering to dedicate themselves to the monastic life.
The monastery of Panagia Lagouvarda is located in Markopoulo village, above Katelios. Every August, on the celebration day of the monastery, harmless snakes appear in the area. The snakes are small, have a black cross on their head and people believe they have miraculous skills.
The Monastery of Panagia Atros is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and stands at an altitude of 500 metres, on the top of a green hill, a few kilometres from Poros. Originally built in the 8th century, this is the oldest monastery of Kefalonia and it has been destroyed and rebuilt 17 times. The monastery celebrates on the 8th of September.
This is a lovely monastery close to Platies village. A legend says that is was founded by Saint Francis of Assisi and its name is actually a corruption of the word Assisi. Since the 16th century, the monastery is reported as an Orthodox convent.
In a distance of 9 km south of Agia Afimia, there is the Monastery of Virgin Themata. It is located in a plateau of Mount Dinati and it is surrounded by lovely greenery.
The Municipal Theatre of Kefalonia is one of the largest and oldest in Greece. It distinguishes for its Neoclassical architecture and the big yard in front. Inaugurated in 1858, this theatre is located just opposite the archaeological museum in Argostoli.
Established by the Society for the Protection of the Environment of the islands of Kefalonia and Ithaca, the Natural History Museum is located in the village of Davgata, north of Argostoli. This museum was founded in order to introduce the natural environment of Kefalonia and Ithaca to the people and to protect it.
The Nautical and Environmental Museum of Fiscardo is run by a non-profit organization and aims to promote public sensitivity for marine life and environmental protection. The museum is housed in the former primary school of Fiscardo.
Above the beach of Skala and at the edge of the village, there is a Roman Villa. Built in the 3rd century AD, this villa stands out for the lovely mosaics on the floor.
The Cave Lake of Melissani is located just 3 km from Sami, close to Karavomilos village. Visitors enter the cave through an underground path and they can step into a boat to tour the cave. Archaeological excavations have found exhibits from the 4th and the 3rd century BC.
About 5 km to the south of Sami, there is this large stalagmatic cavern of rare beauty, estimated to be 150 million years old. It is also known as the Concert Cave, due to its large chamber found in 150 feet below ground level that has exceptionally good acoustics and room for 500 people.
This stone bridge was constructed in 1813 by the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe de Bosset, employed by the British, who ruled the island that time. The bridge works till today and connects the capital town, Argostoli, to the opposite mainland of Kefalonia.
This is a rare natural phenomenon, where the sea water get into crannies and, following the underground route, they reach Melissani Cave, Sami and Agia Efimia, 15 km away.
The lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi stands on a peninsula about 3 km north of Argostoli. The lighthouse was constructed in 1828 by the British, who ruled the island that time. This is a structural building of Doric architecture and its focal plane is 11m.
The monastery of Kipoureon has been built on the edge of a steep slope and gives gorgeous view of the sea and the sunset. It has many rare post-Byzantine icons.
The Castle of Saint George stands on a hill above Peratata village, about 7 km from Argostoli. It was originally built by the Byzantines but the Venetians gave it its final form in 1504. The Castle is almost ruined today by invasions and the severe earthquake that hit Kefalonia in 1953.
Be the first to get news and special offers!