Ios is connected by ferry with two ports of Athens: Piraeus and Rafina. Piraeus is the main and biggest port of the Greek Capital, situated only 12km away from the city center and has 2-4 daily ferry crossings to Ios. Rafina is the easthern port of Athens, located near the Airport and has one daily ferry crossing to Ios.
> Book your ferry tickets from Athens (Piraeus) to Ios
• How long is the ferry trip from Athens to Ios?
The duration of the ferry trip from Athens to Ios varies from a minimum of 3h55m to a maximum of 9 hours, whereas an average time is 6 hours. This depends on the type of vessel (conventional or high-speed), the port of departure (Piraeus or Rafina), the in-between stops to other islands and of course in some rare occasions the weather.
• How much is the ferry from Athens to Ios?
Prices depend on the ferry type (conventional or high-speed) and the port of departure (Piraeus or Rafina). Some indicative prices are:
- €35.5 for the conventional Blue Star Ferry from Piraeus with trip duration 6 hours and 40 minutes.
- €59.9 for the high-speed ferry with Seajet from Piraeus and trip duration 3 hours and 55 minutes.
- €55 for the high-speed Golden Star Ferry from Piraeus with trip duration 6 hours and 15 minutes.
- €36.5 for the conventional Zante Ferries from Piraeus and trip duration 9 hours and 45 minutes.
- €54 for the high-speed Golden Star Ferry from Rafina with trip duration 4 hours and 55 minutes.
• What ferries are operating from Athens to Ios?
There are two types of vessels operating the route from Athens to Ios, the conventional ferries mainly run by Blue Star Ferry and Zante Ferries and high-speed ferries run by Seajet and Golden star companies.
> Conventional ferries
The conventional type of ferry is a big vessel with many indoors, outdoors spaces and a garage. If you are traveling with a dog, there is an organised kennel but depending on the vessel you can also keep your dog with you on the deck. You will find restaurants, fast food eateries, cafes and small shops with magazines and more whereas there is air conditioning in all the interior spaces. The trip with a conventional Blue Star Ferry is the most popular. Bad weather conditions such as strong winds, do not affect this type of vessel very much, and are always on time. Also the trip is much more pleasant because due to its size and spaces, you can enjoy the beautiful sea views and have lunch or coffee. Last but not least, a big advantage of this ferry type is that with an extra fee you can take your car with you to Ios.
Types of seats: the Deck/Economy, the Air seats/Economy, Air seat/Business, and cabins with/without view.
Price range: €35.5 - €40.
Vehicule: €28.5 (Moto), €91.5 (Car)
Timetable: During the summer season, there are at least 5 schedules per week for this type of vessel to/from Piraeus/Ios.
> High-Speed ferries
The high-speed ferries are smaller in size ferries that run faster. There are no outdoor spaces and passengers remain in the indoor area. There are only numbered airplane type seats and only one coffee shop where you can buy a coffee, a refreshment or a snack. Inside the vessel there is an air conditioning system. The Seajet ferry has a garage and you can carry your car from Athens to Ios but this is not always necessarily the case with high-speed ferries. The big advantage for choosing high-speed ferries is that they go faster and the price is relatively not much higher than the conventional ferry. Unfortunately, because they are small vessels, bad weather conditions affect them easily and it has been noticed that many delays occur very often. In case you are travelling with strong winds, you might feel a bit sea sick nauseous.
Types seats: Airplane seat/Economy, Airplane seat/Business and Airplane seat/Vip.
Price range: €59.9- €85
Vehicule price range: Seajet €22 (moto) - €89 (car)
Timetable: During the summer season, there are 2 schedules per day for this type of vessel to/from Piraeus/Ios and one daily ferry crossing to/from Rafina/Ios
• Indicative Timetables
Check our booking engine for precise timetables.
- From Piraeus to Ios
- • 06:50 am Golden Star Ferries (6h15m)
- • 07:00 am Seajets (3h55m)
- • 07:00 am Zante Ferries (9h5m)
- • 17:30 pm Blue Star Ferries (6h40m)
- From Ios to Piraeus
- • 07:55 am Blue Star Ferries (6h50m)
- • 11:05 am Golden Star Ferries (6h15m)
- • 12:55 pm Seajets (4h5m)
- • 20:05 pm Zante Ferries (8h30m)