Milos is home to many churches and monasteries that dot the countryside and its settlements. The architecture and style is gorgeous drawing special attention from the visitors. In Plaka lies the famous Panagia Korfiatissa, the Metropolitan church of the island dedicated to the Virgin. It was founded in the 19th century and stands out for its Byzantine frescoes and remarkable architecture. Panagia Thalassitra, the saint protector of the sailors is located close to the castle ruins, in Plaka and lies next to the small chapel of Panagia Eleousa offering gorgeous sea views. Inside the castle, there is the church of Mesa Panagia.
Among the holy sites of Adamas is the 17th century church of Agia Triada, the second oldest Orthodox Church in Milos, home to the Ecclesiastical Museum. The largest church of the settlement is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin and Agios Haralambos, built in 1870 by Cretan refugees. In its courtyard beautiful mosaics can be seen made of pebbles from the blessed beaches of Milos. One of the best-preserved monasteries of the island is Agios Ioannis Siderianos rising on a hill above the beautiful bay. Other churches worth mentioned in Milos are dedicated to Virgin Mary, Agios Georgios and Agia Marina. The church of Panagia ton Rodon and Agios Nikolaos are the only Catholic churches of the island.
The church and the cells of this very old and historical monastery are in very good condition. This monastery got its name from a miracle (as it is said by the inhabitants of Milos): some locals locked themselves in the church to escape from the pirates and prayed to Saint John to close the door with an iron bar. The prayer was answered and the pirates couldn't enter the church.
Panagia Korfiatissa is located on a breathtaking site in Plaka, overlooking at the deep blue sea and the neighbouring islands. The church was built in 1820 with building materials brought from the abandoned churches of the old main town and it is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.