The National Library of Athens is located in Panepistimiou street, close to the “Panepistimio” metro station. Along with the Academy of Athens and the University of Athens, they consist of the “Athenian Trilogy”.
The National Library was founded in 1829 and built on designs of Theophil Freiherr von Hansen while its construction was supervised by Ernst Ziller. The Vallianos family sponsored the works, this is why this building is also known as “Vallianeio Megaron”.
Due to the increased number of books and new technologies, it was decided that the Library should be transferred to a bigger and more modern building. So in 2018, the Library was relocated to the Stavros Niarchos Cultural Center. A small part of its book collection still remains at the Vallianeio Megaron in Panepistimiou street.