Here is our section with things to see and do in Egnatia Thessaloniki. Discover 11 interesting sightseeing in Egnatia, with detailed description, exact location on Google map, photos and reviews from visitors. You can also view more sightseeing in other locations of Thessaloniki.
The church of Agios Dimitrios(Saint Demetrius) is the most famous church in Thessaloniki. This is the patron saint of the town and its celebration on October 26th is a local holiday. This church dates from the Byzantine Times and it has been built on the site when Saint Demetrius actually martyred. In fact, the basement of the church is the place where the saint was tortured for his faith and died.
Located in the city centre, this is among the most important churches of Thessaloniki. It is not known where exactly the church of Saint Sofia was originally built. The most possible is that it was constructed after the Church of Saint Sofia in Constantinople, as they have many similarities in the architectural style. Some actually believe that the two churches were built by the same architect, Anthemios.
This name of this church actually means the "Virgin Mary Not Made by Human Hands" in Greek. It is one of the most important paleo-Christian monuments in Thessaloniki and one of the oldest churches in Greece. The construction of the church started in the 5th century AD on the remains of a Roman bath. Along its history, though, it has been reconstructed many times.
On the south west of the archaeological site of Roman Agora, there is the Byzantine church of Panagia Chalkeon. Its name means "Virgin Mary of Cooper Workers" in Greek, as there were cooper workshops living in the area.
This is the Metropolitan Church of Thessaloniki and it is dedicated to Saint Gregory Palamas, an Archbishop of the town who lived in the 13th century and who is considered as one of the most important saints of the Orthodox Church. The church has a red round dome and it is located in Agias Sofias square. It celebrates twice a year: on November 14th, the day of the saint's death, and on the second Sunday of the Lent.
The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki opened is doors in September 2006, after the restoration of the old building. Its aim is to present the way of life and socialization of the tribes that lived in Thessaloniki and the wider region of Macedonia from the prehistoric times till present. The permanent exhibitions of the Archaeological Museum are dedicated to various aspects and periods of time concerning Macedonia. The museum also organizes educational programmes for university students and kids.
The Museum of Byzantine Culture was established in 1989 and it opened to public in 1993. Today, the museum has 11 rooms in total that host permanent and temporary exhbitions as well as educational programmes. Some exhibits of the Byzantine Museum are housed in the White Tower, the symbol of Thessaloniki.
The Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki is housed in the centre of the town, in one of the few Jewish buildings that survived the great fire of 1917. Its exhibits aim to present visitors the vast history and culture of the Jews that lived in Thessaloniki since the 15th century. The first Jews came to Thessaloniki from Spain in 1492. They flourished for many centuries and integrated with the local life. However, 96% of the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki was extinguished by the Nazis in the Second World War. Today, the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki is very small.
The Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art is housed in the Helexpo Exhibition Centre, on Egnatia st. The aim of this museum is to promote Greek and international contemporary art throughout the world and to make a contribution to the Greek cultural life.
Bey Hamam is an old Ottoman bathhouse located along Egnatia Street, next to the church of Panagia Halkeon. Its name means "the Baths of Paradise". Originally built in 1444 by sultan Murad II, this is among the most important remains of the Ottoman occupation in Thessaloniki.
The Roman Market, close to the city centre, was in function for 8 entire centuries, from the foundation of the town in the 5th century BC till the early Byzantine times, in the 5th century AD. Remains of a theatre, a square, an arched street, a mint and a marketplace have been unearthed, while excavations and restoration works are being continued today.
Google map of Egnatia excursions
Be the first to get news and special offers!