Zagorochoria Sights & Attractions
Zagoria is a complex of 46 mountainous villages on the northeastern part of Greece, in the region of Epirus. The area is famous for its traditional villages and natural beauty, as the National Reserve Vikos-Aoos is found there. Over the last years, the area has developed in active tourism and ecotourism. The most interesting site in Zagoria is the Vikos Gorge, the second deepest gorge in the world, after the Grand Canyon in the USA. Close to Vikos Gorge is the lovely Monastery of Agia Paraskevi, accessible through a short hike. A drive around the region brings visitors to picturesque villages, such as Papigo, Vitsa, and Monodendri.
You can see below the best Site in Zagorochoria. You can filter them by category and location.
Vikos Gorge is the second deepest gorge in the world (after Grand Canyon in the USA). It offers impressive views and great chances for extreme sports.
Voidomatis is an amazing river that runs through Vikos Gorge, located close to many villages of Zagoria. It offers many spots of natural beauty and excellent chances for extreme sports.
In the heart of the Vikos-Aoos National Park that surrounds Zagoria, there is a beautiful monastery, particularly popular among trekkers. This is the monastery of Agia Paraskevi and dates back to the 15th century. The location commands an amazing view over the gorge.
This beautiful site is located between the two Papigo villages. The rock formations create a beautiful landscape, ideal for tranquil moments.
Milos bridge is found close to Kipi village at a wonderful spot, surrounded by majestic nature, above Bagiotikos river.
Noutsos bridge was constructed in 1750. It is spotted on the central road to Zagori.
The Sarakatsani Shepfold Museum was established in 1995. It is an open-air museum that depicts the life and culture of an old nomadic tribe, the Sarakatsani. It is found close to Tsepelove village, on the slopes of Tumfi mountains.
The Rizarios Centre for Exhibitions is found in Monodendri. It was created in 2001 and it is housed in an old traditional mansion. Close to the exhibition center, there is the Rizarios Handicraft School.
The bridge of Plakidas or Kalogeriko is a three-stringer bridge that was built in 1814, near Kipi and Koukouli villages. It is one of the few three-stringer bridges that exist.
Until the close of the 20th century, Vradeto steps were the only way to reach Vradeto village. This paved stairway consists of about 1000 steps and is spotted on the side of a canyon. It starts from Kapesovo village. A road to Vradeto village was first created in 1970.
Klidonia Bridge is situated at the end of Vikos Gorge. From this bridge you can admire the crystal clear waters of Voidomatis river that flows underneath, as well as the impressive natural surroundings.
Missios bridge was constructed in 1748 and designed by Alexis Missios. It is located on a cobble stone path that connects Vitsa and Koukouli villages. This spot offers an impressive view of Vikos Gorge, as well as magical natural surroundings.
Taxiarchon Church is spotted on the central square of Mikro Papigo. It is the only church of the village and it has been declared as preservable monument by the Ministry of Culture. From testimonies and texts it is evident that this church used to be a monastery.
The Monastery of Panagia Spiliotissa is spotted between Aristi and Papigo villages. It was constructed in the 16th century and stands out for its traditional architecture. The Monastery of Panagia Spiliotissa is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin.
Located in Monodendri, the church of Agios Minas was built in the 17th century and it is made of stone.
The church of Agios Vlassios is located on the central square of Papigo village. It distinguishes for its traditional architecture. This stone built church was constructed in 1852 and has a lovely bell tower.
Built in the 17th century by the Paschalis brothers as the center of education, the building has been preserved today and hosts the folklore museum of the village.
The Lazarides Museum of Flora and Fauna is found in Koukouli village, Zagoria. It is dedicated to Kostas Lazarides, an important naturalist who collected 1,240 different species of plants in the Vikos Aoos Gorge. Today, the museum hosts 2,500 dried species of herbs and plants from Epirus. Many of them are known for their healing traits and are used by local people to produce medication.
The museum of traditional jobs is placed in Elafotopos, a village next to Ano Pedina. It is housed in the old Primary School of Elafotopos and its collection was created by its founder, Michalis Oikonomides. It is also known as the folklore museum of the village since Oikonomides provided hundreds of objects not only related to the traditional jobs in Zagoria but also to the everyday life there.