Panagia Tourliani in Mykonos
The Monastery of Panagia Tourliani in Mykonos, Cyclades: The monastery of Panagia Tourliani is placed 8km far from Chora town, in Ano Mera village. The construction was originally built in 1542 by two priests and was initially named after the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The monastery was restored in 1767 and took its present name after an icon of the Virgin Mary found in the nearby area of Tourlos. Since then, Panagia Tourliani became the patroness of the island and celebrates on August, 15th.
The architecture of the monastery is rather impressive, with a whitewashed exterior and a colored dome. A beautiful marble fountain is found in the yard outside the church. In the interior of the church, we can see an impressive wooden iconostasis (altar screen) made in 1775 by Florentine artists. There are icons of apostles and saints on the iconostasis as well as scenes from the New Testament. The screen is decorated with green, red and golden flowers.
The hanging incense holders are decorated with silver dragons having red eggs in their mouth, which show the Eastern influence. The monastery also has a small ecclesiastical museum which includes wood carvings, embroideries, vestments, holy icons and the first bells of the monastery. To the southeast of the Monastery of Panagia Tourliani, about 1 km away, you will find the Monastery of Paleokastro, built in the 12th century and also worth to visit.