The Catholic Church of Panagia Rodario in Mykonos : The Catholic Church of Panagia Rodario is located in Alefkandra square, close to the windmills above Chora town. This is the only catholic church on Mykonos and serves the catholics that live permanently on the island and the thousands of foreign tourists that visit Mykonos every summer. Constructed in 1668, the church was renovated in 1677 by bishop Leandros Xanthakis, as shown in an inscription above the entrance.
The icon over the Holy Table presents Virgin Mary and baby Jesus between Saint Domenicus and Saint Catherine of Sienna. This icon was transferred to Mykonos from Venice in 1715. This is when the floor of the church was covered with marble and a gold-platted arch was put around the icon, after a donation of a local woman, Maroussa Vitali.
Unfortunately, part of the church was destroyed in a big fire in May, 1st, 1991. The icon of the Virgin was seriously damaged but it was transferred to Tinos and repaired. In October 1997, the church was ready to work again. Today, there are Services every Sunday evening for the Catholics of Mykonos and Holy Masses are held in Christmas and Easter.