Maritime Museum in Mykonos
The Aegean Maritime Museum of Mykonos, Cyclades: The Aegean Maritime Museum of Mykonos opened its doors in 1985 and it is housed in a traditional Cycladic building of the 19th century in Mykonos Town, in the neighborhood of Tria Pigadia (Three Wells). The aim of the museum is to present and study the history of the Greek nautical tradition.
The exhibits of the museum include ship models from the early Minoan period until the beginning of the 20th century, historic shipping documents, rare engravings, and maps as well as ancient items and tools. The library of the museum consists of 5,000 rare books and an interesting archive of manuscripts and photos. The garden exhibits marble findings from Delos and Mykonos, a reference to shipwrecks and sailors who were lost at sea.
The Aegean Maritime Museum of Mykonos was the first Greek museum to restore living historical exhibits, such as the Armenistis Lighthouse in Mykonos (constructed in 1890), the sailing ship Evangelistria (built in 1940) and the cable-lying ship Thalis o Milesios (built in 1909). Today, the Aegean Maritime Museum joins international conferences, exhibitions and participates in the Greek Maritime Week.