Nafplion Sights & Attractions
Popular mostly as a weekend destination from Athens, Nafplion is a lovely town of Peloponnese with Medieval vibe. With the strong Palamidi Fortress overlooking it, the Old Town of Nafplion bursts with narrow alleys, tall houses, and lovely squares. A visit to Palamidi is a must thing to do in Nafplion, while a very interesting site is also Bourtzi Fortress, accessible by boat from the port. In close distance to the town are nice beaches, such as Karathonas and Tolo. At a distance of 20 min drive is also the Archaeological Site of Mycenae.
You can see below the best Sites in Nafplion. You can filter them by category and location.
The islet of Bourtzi stands at the entrance of the port and has a strong fortress on it. It can be visited by boat from the port of Nafplion.
Akronafplia Fortress is situated on the rocky penisula of Akronafplia. It is the oldest Castle in Nafplio and its lower sections date back to the Bronze Age. From 1936 to 1956 Akronafplia Fortress was used as a Greek political prison. On Politiko Nosokomiou square on the western egde of the Town, there is a lift that takes you up to the Fortress.
Palamidi is located on a hill above Nafplion. It was first built by the Venetians and in the 18th century it was taken over by the Turks. It was used as a prison for a period of time. Theodoros Kolokotronis,one of the leaders of the Revolution was imprisoned in its walls.
The Promenade of Arvanitia is a paved path on the seaside, an ideal choice for a romantic stroll. It extends for about 1km. It starts from the harbor of Nafplio, next to the lighthouse, and finishes on Arvanitia square and Arvanitia beach.
Located in the center of the Old Town, Syntagma Square is the most historically important square in Nafplion. It was known as the Platanos Square in the 19th century.
The Archaeological Museum of Nafplion is housed in a renovated Venetian mansion that dates from 1715 in Constitution Square. It displays findings from excavations in the region of Argolida.
Vouleftikon is housed in a big, gray stone-built building, which is carefully restored to its former glory. It was built in 1730 as a mosque by the Turks. After many years it housed the first Greek people’s Assembly, that took place in 1825. Vouleftikon is not usually open to public, however concerts are often organized in its premises.
Some Turkish fountains are spotted in the Old Town of Nafplion. They are decorated with reliefs and inscriptions in Arabic.
Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece, was shot and killed, as he was entering this church to attend the Holy Mass. In fact, the round shape of the bullet can still be seen on the entrance of the church.
The historic industrial space of "Fougaro" is a landmark for Nafplio city since it is situated in the area formerly used as the Canning Industry "Anthos". It is composed of a cafe, spaces for workshops, cultural events, a library and a shop.
The Folklore Museum of Nafplion was established with the initiative of the stage-designer Mrs. Ioanna Papantoniou. It hosts traditional costumes, jewelry, ceramics, works of paintings and sculpture and other folk items.
National Gallery is housed in a restored, neoclassical building. It was set up with the aid of the public welfare institution “Alexandros S. Onasis”. Its collection of art pieces is mainly dedicated to the Greek Revolution. In its premises there is also a hall for short-term exhibitions and an art workshop for children.
Porta della Terraferma is also known as “The Gate of Xira”. It was constructed in 1708 and at that time it was the only entrance to Nafplion city from the land. It is found below Akronafplia walls.
Located at a distance of 5 km from Nafplion, Ancient Tyrins was a very strong town in the Mycenaean Era. Archaeological excavations performed by Heinrich Schliemann and the German Archaeological Institute revealed remains of a strong fortification, a vaulted Mycenaean tomb, and walls of public buildings.
The Komboloi Museum has a collection of about 1000 worry beads from the 18th to the 20th century. These beads are made of amber, seashells, corals, and crystals. The shop in the museum allows visitors to buy replicas of these beads.
The old railway station in Nafplion was established in 1884 outside the city walls. The railway line operated until 1963. Thirty years later, the line was reopened, but the Railway Station was relocated next to the port. Today, the site of the Old Railway Station operates as a recreation area.
The War Museum on 22, Amalias Avenue displays weapons used by the soldiers of this historic city. The building of this museum is also significant as it was built to house the first Military Academy.
The Governor's House in the Three Admirals Square was built by order of Ioannis Kapodistrias and came to be known as Palataki (Little Palace). The Palataki was considered to be a work of art.