Mystras Sights & Attractions
Mystras is one of the most famous archaeological sites in Greece and has been declared as a world heritage monument. Mystras was a strong Byzantine town in the 13th century. After the modern town of Sparta was founded in the early 19th century, Mystras declined and was gradually abandoned. Today it is an important archaeological site including Byzantine churches, some of which have been restored. There is also an Archaeological Museum and the Palace of the Despots on top of the hill. The region of Mystras has nice villages and hiking paths.
You can see below the best Sites in Mystras. You can filter them by category and location.
This palace was the second most important palace of the Byzantine Empire, after Constantinople. It was the house of the Despot of Mystras and it is located on the highest spot of the site.
One of the most important churches of Mystras is the Cathedral of Agios Demetrios, founded in 1292 AD. This church has a mixed architectural style: on the one hand it has a three-aisled basilica with a narthex and a bell tower, built in the 13th century on the ground floor, and on the other hand, the upper floor is a cross-in-square church, added in the first half of the 15th century. Its interior is decorated with wall paintings in many different styles. This is where the last Byzantine emperor, Constantinos Paleologos, was crowned in 1449.
The Museum of Mystras hosts mostly Ecclesiastical items from the Byzantine period. It is found in the yard of Agios Demetrios Cathedral.
The Byzantine church of Agia Sophia dates from the mid-14th century. It has nice wall paintings and it is made of stone.
The church of Agioi Theodoroi was built in the 13th century and belongs to the octagonal type with lateral chapels. Its dome, based on eight props, is quite impressive.
Keadas is a steep ravine where the myth says that the ancient Spartans used to throw their incapable children, criminals, traitors and war prisoners.
The Monastery of our Lady Perivleptos has fine wall paintings made in the late 14th century. The catholicon (main church of the monastery) has cross-in-square style.
The church of our Lady Hodegetria, meaning the "Leader of the Way", was built in 1310. Its decoration includes wall paintings that represent the healing of the blind man, the wedding in Kana and other scenes from the Bible. The grave of Emmanuel Paleologos is found in this chapel.
The Monastery of Panagia Pantanassa has an impressive katholicon (main church) and a tall bell tower. Its fine frescoes date from the 14th century.