Perched into a valley among high mountains, on the northern side of Peloponnese, Kalavryta is a small but beautiful town that attracts most tourists due to the ski center and its historical past. In fact, in 1943, all male population of Kalavryta was killed by the Nazi troops. On the spot of Kalavryta Holocaust, on the hill right above the town, is the Holocaust Monument that was made to remind all visitors the value of peace. Very interesting sites in Kalavryta are the Monastery of Mega Spileo and the historical Monastery of Agia Lavra, where the Greek Revolution of 1821 was declared.
You can see below the best Sites in Kalavryta. You can filter them by category and location.
At a distance of 16 km from Kalavryta, the Ski Centre of Helmos gets very popular in winter. It was built in 1988 by the local authorities and since then Kalavryta has developed as a winter destination.
The Cog Train of Kalavryta covers a distance of about 22km between Kalavryta and Diakofto in an hour. It is said that this is one of the most beautiful trips in the world as the train passes through some rare natural sceneries.
The Holy Monastery of Mega Spileo is the oldest Greek Orthodox monastery. It was constructed around 326 A.D on the side of a steep hill, which is about 120 meters high. Its cells are built around the entrance of the cave. An icon of Virgin Mary was found deep inside the cave by a shepherd girl. Believed to be made by Apostle Luke, the icon has miraculously managed to survive four fires.
Located 20 km from Kalavryta, near Kastria, this is actually a cave crossed by a long, underwater river which forms a lot of small lakes through its passage. The stalactites and stalagmites create nice formations.
At a distance of 3 km from Kalavryta, the Monastery of Agia Lavra has historical importance for Greece, as this is where the Greek Revolution was first declared in March 25th, 1821. The monastery hosts small chapels and a lovely ecclesiastical museum.
The Holocaust Museum of Kalavryta is housed in the old Primary School, in the central square. It is dedicated to the Holocaust of the town by the Nazi troops.
At a distance of about 30 km from Kalavryta, the Monastery of Panagia Makelaria was built in the 6th century by the Byzantine general Velissarius Justinian. The Monastery is constructed on top of a hill and it is surrounded by wild landscape.