All 37 Corfu Sightseeing
Here are all the Corfu sightseeing that we suggest. Have a look on various attractions that you can see during your visit in Corfu, such as churches, monasteries, museums, castles and other sights.
All sightseeing in Corfu
Just across the Roman baths of Acharavi, northern Corfu, there is a Folklore Museum with interesting exhibits that depict the historical course of the island from 1700 till today. The museum is a personal effort of Spyros Vlachos and it is housed in an exhibition building of 1,000 sq.m.
The name of Angelokastro means the "castle of the Angels" in Greek. It is located on top of a steep cliff overlooking the sea, near Paleokastritsa. It takes a bit of rough walking to get there but the view rewards visitors.
This museum is housed in the church of Antivouniotissa, one of the oldest and richest churches in Corfu Town. In 1979, this church was turned into a museum and it exhibits a rich collection of Byzantine and post-Byzantine icons and relics, representing more than five centuries of religious fervour and art.
Casa Parlante opened its doors to the public in March 2014 and is actually a living history museum. With animated robotic figures, traditional furniture and real smells and sounds, this museum represents the daily life of a noble 19th century family.
The Byzantine Castle of Gardiki is located on the southern side of Corfu, just 2 km from Agios Matheos village. It is built in an idyllic location and offers nice view. Not much of the castle remains today, but it still is a nice sight to see.
The church of the Holy Trinity in Corfu was established in 1864 to serve the needs of the vast British populace on the island that time. During the Second World War, it was damaged by German bombs and reopened in 1971. Today this Anglican church works normally and has a very active role in the local community. It frequently organizes craft groups, bible studies, meetings of the pilgrimages and public conversations.
The Ionian Academy is the first University of Greece. It worked as a university building from 1824 till 1864, then as a library and today it hosts cultural events and exhibitions. The academy suffered much damage by German bombs in 1943 but it has been restored.
The building of the Ionian Parliament is a neoclassical construction in the Old Town of Corfu, at the end of Moustoxidi st or Plati Kandouni, as it is known to the locals.
Kaiser Wilhelm II was extremely fond of Corfu and purchased the Achilleion Palace in 1907. Carl Ludwig Sprenger was then appointed as the botanical architect of the palace and was also responsible for the building of the bridge that led to the beach.
The Mansion of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of the modern Greek State, is among the most impressive buildings of Corfu Old Town. It is located in the quarter of Mouragia.
This tower was constructed in the Medieval times by the Venetians but it got seriously damaged by the Ottomans, in their effort to conquer the island in the 17th century. Today only some parts of this tower have survived.
Mon Repos used to be the summer residence of the former royal family of Greece. It is located on the way to Kanoni, Corfu Town, among a lovely green setting.
The Municipal Gallery of Corfu is housed in the Palace of Saint Michael and Saint George. It houses brilliant works of local artists of the 19th century and frequently it hosts important exhibitions.
The Museum of Music "Nikolaos Halikiopoulos Mantzaros" opened in October 2010 with the initiative of the Philarmonic Society of Corfu. In fact, it is dedicated to the founder of this society and the composer of the Greek National Anthem and the Olympic Anthem.
The Numismatic Museum of Corfu was founded by the Ionian Bank in 1981. It is housed in a building designed by a local architect, Ioannis Chronis. It hosts a rich collection of banknotes, coins, bank documents, stamps and other bank objects as well as reproduction of the modern manufacturing process of banknotes.
Old Perithia (Palea Perithia) is a ghost village located on the slopes of Mount Pantokrator, the highest mountain in Corfu. Although the village today is almost uninhabited, it is frequently visited for its Venetian architecture and the impressive atmosphere.
The ancient Agora of the city of Corfu is believed to have been located at Palaeopolis. Archaeologists believe that numerous public edifices of great architectural significance were built within close proximity to Palaeopoli.
Located in the suburb of Mandouki, the monastery was first built in 1743 and renovated after its destruction, in 1799, during the Franco Russian-Turk War. In this monastery, there is the grave of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of the independent Greek State.
Located in the quarter of Garitsa, this church was constructed in the 10th century and has a cross-in-square style. It is dedicated to Jason and Sosipater, the first Corfiot men who became Christians.
The Sea Shell Museum of Corfu opened by private initiative and it houses rare pieces from around the world, such as the Indian Ocean and the Meditteranean Sea. It is located outiside the village of Benitses.
The Historic and Folklore Museum of Corfu is housed in a traditional two-storey house in Sinarades, a lovely village west of Corfu Town. It was established in 1982 by the Historical-Folklore Society of Corfu and exhibits items from the period 1860-1960.
Dionysius Solomos is the National Greek Poet who wrote the lyrics of the National Greek Hymn. He lived the major part of his life on the island of Corfu, where he wrote a great part of his work. The museum is housed in the beautiful house where the poet used to live and exhibits many of Solomos’personal items, a collection of its manuscripts, various portraits and some photographic material. The house of the poet was turned into a museum by the Corfiot Studies Society.
Spianada is the most impressive square of Corfu Town and lies between the Old Fortress and the Old Town. This is the second largest square in Europe, after the Square of Saint Mark in Venice.
The magnificent temple of Artemis was a typical Doric temple. Dedicated to the Greek goddess Artemis, the temple was located at the place where the lagoon of Chalikiopoulos is today.
With a tradition to olive production that reaches back almost three generations, the Dafnis established “The Governor”, a family-run company that aims at producing olive oil of supreme quality, taste and nutritional value that has received critical acclaim.
The Town Hall of Corfu is housed in an elegant mansion of Venetian style, constructed in the late 17th century. At first, it used to be a club for noblemen, then a theatre and in 1903 it was turned into the Town Hall.
The small islet of Vidos is located right at the entrance of Corfu port and frequent boats go there from the old port of Corfu Town. It has small beaches to swim, trekking paths and a nice tavern.
The Palace was built in 1890 exclusively for Elizabeth (Sissy), the Empress of Austria. It used to serve as the summer retreat of the Empress, who named it Achillion after her favourite Greek hero, Achilles. After her assassination, it was sold to the Kaiser of Germany.
The Old Fortress of Corfu stands next to Spianada square and Liston. It is an impressive castle built on a peninsula into the sea and connected to the mainland by a narrow bridge. A lighthouse stands on its top and offers great view of the town and the sea.
The Museum of Asian Art of Corfu is the only Asian museum of Greece and is housed in the Palace of Saint Michael and Saint Georges. It was founded in 1927 after that Gregory Manos, an ambassador, donated to the prefecture its private collection of 10, 500 objects of Sino Japanese origin. The museum was first a Chinese and Japanese Art Museum (until 1974) and became an Asian Art Museum later, when its collection was enriched with other private collection objects and items from Asia.
This fortress is also known as the New Fortress of Corfu, in constrast to the Old Fortress near Spianada square. It played an important role for the protection of the town against pirates and enemies in the Medieval times. The entire fortress is an intricate network of compartments and galleries.
The archaeological museum stands in Vraila Street, near the Garitsa coastal road and was built to house the Gorgon pediment from the temple of Artemis which was found in the area of Paleopolis. This pediment is dated back to 580 BC and is supposed to be the oldest one in Greece. In the archaeological museum of Corfu, visitors will also admire other founds from excavations from the archaeological sites of the island, from the ancient town of Cassiopeia and items from a private collection.
The region of Kanoni and the Mouse Island (Pontikonisi) is the most picturesque spot of Corfu Town. High up on a hill, there is a canon and from there people can see the Mouse Island and the little church of Panagia Vlaherna, linked with the mainland with a narrow pathway.
The church of Saint Spyridon is located in the Old Town of Corfu, right behind Liston. It has the largest bell tower of all churches in the city and it is its red dome that visitors first see when they arrive by boat to Corfu. This saint is the protector of the island, as the myth says that he saved the town from a plague in the 17th century.
Built in the 13th century on the hill of Paleokastritsa, the monastery houses a small museum with Byzantine and post Byzantine icons. The museum gives great views to the sea and it is open to visit.
This Aqualand is said to be the most amazing water park in Europe and the third largest in the world! It has many fun water games, including the Crazy River and the Black Hole. It is located in Agios Ioannis village, close to Corfu Town.
The Monastery of Pantokrator is located on top of the highest mountain of the island, on the northern side of Corfu. Access is done through a truck road but the incredible view rewards visitors.
Be the first to get news and special offers!