Corfu Ionian Parliament: The building of the Ionian Parliament is a neoclassical construction in the Old Town of Corfu, at the end of Moustoxidi st or Plati Kandouni, as it is known to the locals. It is found very close to the Town Hall and Spianada square. This beautiful building was constructed in 1853 by a local architect, Ioannis Chronis. Some marble pillars mark the entrance.
Its historical importance is great as in this building, in September 1963, the Ionian Parliament voted for the unification of the Ionian islands with the rest of the Greek state. This was a very important decision, as it was a long demand of the islands to get free from British rule and form part of Greece.
After the unification, the Ionian Parliament had no reason to exist, as there was the Greek Parliament in Athens. So, this building turned into an Anglican church till 1943, when German and Italian bombing caused great damages. It was restored in 1962 and today it hosts some cultural events, exhibitions, and lectures.