Callas at the Herodium
Acting as a large-scale celebration of Maria Callas’ life and work, classical music experts and professionals will unite to recreate some of her most memorable performances in a one-and-done concert, which will take place on the 16th of September 2023 (the anniversary date of Callas’ passing) at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, located on the slopes of the Acropolis!
Four sopranos of international fame, namely Anna Pirozzi, Catherine Foster, Nina Minasyan, and Vassiliki Karayanni, alongside the great conductor Philippe Auguin and paired with the orchestra of the Greek National Opera, will perform a selection of the finest arias of Maria Callas’ fame, reminding the Greek audience of the great drama-filled voice of the late soprano!
The program will include:
• Manolis Kalomiris’ The Masterbuilder, performed by Vassiliki Karayanni
• Ludwig van Beethoven’s Fidelio, performed by Catherine Foster
• Ambroise Thomas’ Hamlet, performed by Nina Minasyan
• Giuseppe Verdi’s La forza del destino, performed by Anna Pirozzi
• Gaetano Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor, performed by Vassiliki Karayanni
• Giuseppe Verdi’s Il trovatore, performed by Anna Pirozzi, and
• Richard Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde, performed by Catherine Foster.
Part of a larger tribute towards Maria Callas, the year 2023 marks the 100-year anniversary of her birth, and the Greek National Opera has arranged a variety of other shows, starting from April 2023 and ending in late December 2023, hosting various exhibitions, documentary screenings, and an educational workshop!