Town Village Poros: Poros Town is the capital and main harbour of the island of Poros. It is located in the southern part of the island, covering the tiny, volcanic Sferia with a long shoreline that extends for two km.
As a capital, it is the commercial, economical, cultural and residential centre of the island. It is a beautiful little town, built amphitheatrically with two-storey whitewashed or bright coloured Neoclassical buildings that stand out for their terracotta-tiled roofs, long windows and wooden balconies.
The beauty of Poros Town is emphasized by the whitewashed narrow streets which brilliance is accentuated by the bright fuchsia, red and orange of the bougainvillea and hibiscus. The beautiful neoclassical, light blue painted clock tower was built in 1927 and stands on the highest point of the city. It is visible from every part of the town and from next to it, one can enjoy a magnificent view over the mountainous Peloponnesian coast and the astonishing sunsets.
One of the must see of the beautiful Poros Town is the Archaeological Museum situated on the small square on the quayside road, Korizi Square. The beautiful Public Library is also worth-seeing as is the church of Agios Georgios housing the superb frescoes painted by the famous Greek painter Constantine Parthenis and the superb Villa Galini, one of the most beautiful houses of Poros, which has hosted various personalities from Art and Literature such as Henri Miller.
On the waterfront, souvenir shops, cafes, florists and other various shops are lining one after the other, forming a colourful and lively facade. Taverns and more shops are scattered along the narrow streets behind the first row of buildings. The town also offers a wide range of hotels, studios and rooms for rent as well as various tourist offices, four banks, a post office and an open-air cinema.
Activities and entertainment
Other businesses (1)