Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, the historic Church of Agios Ioannis is one of the oldest monuments on the island. It can be found on the western side of Meganisi, on the pebbled seashore of Agios Ioannis beach and it is the only part of the building complex of a monastery that survives to this day. It celebrates every year on June 24th.
The small church was constructed before 1477, as findings suggest. It was destroyed by pirates in the past and the icon of Saint John was lost in the sea but it was later recovered by fishermen. Thanks to the donations made by the locals, the church was rebuilt.
The most recent reconstruction took place just a few years ago.