Churches in Halki
Nimborio, the only inhabited settlement of Halki, is dotted with numerous Byzantine churches and chapels which lie hidden in the paved alleys. The church of Agios Nikolaos is the pride of the island with the highest bell tower in the Dodecanese and beautiful frescoes on the inside.
In the deserted village of Chorio, right below Kastro stands proudly the church of Panagia dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It is a nice attraction for visitors.
West of Halki and 7 km from the capital lies the Monastery of Agios Ioannis Alarka, the most famous pilgrimage site of the island. It is located at the center of a fertile valley and it is considered as the saint protector of the sponge divers of the island. Every year, on August 23rd a great festival takes place at the courtyard of the monastery filled with hundreds of pilgrims.
The church of Agios Nikolaos is considered to be the protector of the island. Located in Nimborio, the church distinguishes for its impressive bell tower. It was built in 1861 and hosts interesting frescoes.