Souda Fortress in Chania
The Fortress of Souda in Chania Crete: Just opposite of Itzedin Fortress in Chania, there is a small, lush green island where the Venetians built one of the strongest castles in Crete. The Fortress of Souda covers the whole island so that it was impregnable. Built by the Venetians in 1573, this fortress would protect the locals from the invasion of enemies or pirates.
The fortress was surrendered to Turks in 1715 after many battles. It remained under Ottoman occupation till 1913, when the Greek flag was raised there and Crete was united to the Greek state. On the island, there is a small church of Saint Nicolas. Another islet called Leon stands on the northwest. This fortress played an important role in the Cretan battles for freedom.