Information about churches in Patmos
The small island of Patmos is famous for its historical and religious past, and owns its fame to Agios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John Evengelist), who wrote the Apocalypse. Today it is the most important spiritual site standing at the center of Chora, along with countless churches and monasteries that surround it.
The first thing one notices in Patmos is the Orthodox monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos adorning the hill above Chora. It was built around the holy cave where the disciple of Christ wrote the Book of Revelation, one of the most important religious texts of all ages. Its high strong walls and heavy entrance make it look like a fortress while the monastery complex consists of courtyards, chapels, frescoes and roof terraces. It can be accessed by bus or on foot from Chora. Close to the holy monastery lies the convent of Zoodochos Pigis (The Spring of Life) built in 1603.
Right in the middle of the square, in the village of Pano Kambos stands the Church of Evangelistria. It houses the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary and hundreds of locals gather there or the religious festivities on the 25th of March and the 14th of August.
The lovely monastery of Panagia Koumana stands on the hill of the same name with a luminous cross, above the settlement of Skala. The monastery performs weddings, baptisms and religious festivals in this appealing place with numerous trees and a beautiful panoramic view.
In Grikos, 5 km southwest of the island's capital is found the small Church of Agios Ioannis Theologos. It is a major attraction built upon the ruins of the ancient spas where John baptized the Christians. It is even older that the island's famous monastery.