Churches in Andros
Andros is home to numerous Byzantine churches and monasteries. Their beautiful architecture, large size, and impressive mosaics witness its great development during the 11th and 12th century. Zoodochos Pigis is the largest monastery in Andros located in Batsi village, west of the island's capital. Well-protected by strong walls, almost like a fortress, the monastery offers an amazing view and is open to the public.
Above the main port rises the whitewashed church of Panagia Theoskepasti, the saint protector of the island. The chapel of Panagia Thalassini is regarded as the symbol of Andros, built on top of a rock. The Monastery of Papachrantos is one of the oldest monasteries in Andros with beautiful architecture. Equally noticeable are the well-preserved monasteries of Agios Nikolaos and Panagia Tromarchiani.
The monastery of Saint Irene was founded in 1780 at Archontas in the village of Apoikia by the Spiridou brothers, both of whom were monks.