Church of Taxiarches
The church of Agioi Taxiarches in Milies, Pelion: The historical church of Agioi Taxiarches is found in the central square of Milies, a mountainous village in Pelion. It is easy to access and very close to the train station of Milies. It is unknown when exactly this church was built, but a sign at the entrance informs visitors that it was renovated in 1741.
The church is dedicated to Saint Taxiarches and to Agioi Pantes (All Saints). There is no bell tower or windows and the interior is quite cozy and impresses visitors with the wall paintings that depict scenes from the Bible and Hell. There is also the Zodiac Cycle at the entrance.
This church is an important historical monument for Pelion as on May 17th, 1821, the scholar Anthimos Gazis raised the Greek flag of Revolution there. This flag is housed today in the Library of Milies. The acoustics is also great and in fact, in 2000, a choral festival with ecclesiastical songs of Johann Back took place in the interior of this church.