Tinos Loutra Village
Loutra Tinos: Loutra is among the oldest and historical villages of Tinos, located just 8 km north of Tinos Town. The village used to be very prosperous in the past, when the Jesuites and Ursulines monks founded some impressive monasteries there. The Monastery of Ursulines in particular was founded in 1862 and flourished between 1910 and 1930, when hundreds of girls from wealthy families would come from all over Greece to study there.
The Monastery of Jesuits, the most important site of the village worked since 1840 and today hosts an interesting folklore museum in one of its rooms. Also the Church of Saint Joseph has a beautiful interior decoration. Surrounded by lovely nature and in close distance from Tinos Town, these villages in the centre of the island are often visited as hiking destinations. Today the unspoiled village counts only 35 permanent residents who live a plain yet traditional and quiet life away from the cosmopolitan crowds of Tinos Town.