The Museum of Delphic Festivals in Delphi, Sterea: At the north side of Ancient Delphi, there is a small but very interesting museum, the Museum of Delphic Festivals, also known as the Museum of Aggelos and Eva Sikelianos. The museum is housed at the former residence of the Sikelianos, which was restored by the European Cultural Centre of Delphi to honor their memory.
The beautiful establishment with Neoclassical style was constructed in 1927, the time when the famous poet Aggelos Sikelianos and his wife were trying to revive the ancient Delphic Festivals. At last, they succeeded in their effort and organized two festivals, one in 1927 and the other in 1930.
That time, the Delphic Festivals was the most important event for the country and attracted famous personalities from all over the world, among them politicians, artists, scholars, and university teachers. Conferences were organized based on studies for the importance of Delphi in ancient times. Also, performances of ancient drama would take place in the ancient theatre, athletic competitions in the stadium, folk exhibitions and concerts of Byzantine music that marked the Delphic Festivals. Unfortunately, due to lack of financing, these festivals were interrupted.
The Museum of Delphic Festivals Aggelos and Eva Sikelianos displays items connected to these two festivals, including rich photographic material, theatre costumes that Eva herself designed, several manuscripts of the poet, personal objects and the famous loom of Eva. The house is set in a fabulous location, right above the archaeological site and providing a magnificent view of the mountains.