A gold ring, believed to be the long lost Ring of Minos, was found on Crete in the 1920s, but at that time was dismissed as a fake. But it has recently received the recognition it deserves, as it has been identified by Greek archaeologists as the actual Ring of Minos, dating to 3,500 years in the past.
Culture Ministry officials confirmed that a panel of experts had inspected the artifact and had found it to be genuine. Director of Athens National Archaeological Museum further confirmed that the ring was in the possession of the museum, in a talk with Eleftheros Typos Daily. A meeting is scheduled for tomorrow by the Culture Ministry’s Central Archaeological Council, to further discuss the matter.
The ring was an exquisite piece with a large oval surface, complete with an engraving of a hilltop shrine, two women among trees, a seated woman and finally a boat which was being pulled by a demonic figure.
Found by some locals in 1928, the ring was discovered in a field near Knossos. A vast prehistoric building complex exists there, and this is believed to be the Palace of Minos, who was the powerful mythical king of Crete. Archaeologists refused to buy the ring, as it was either too expensive or they were not sure of its authenticity. Ultimately the ring was lost for a considerable period of time and was recently returned to the Museum.