The Venetian Castle of Zakynthos, Ionian Greece: On the hill of Bohali above Zakynthos Town, there is the Venetian Castle. As excavations have shown, this castle was constructed on the site of the ancient acropolis of the island and also on the site of a former Byzantine castle.
The Castle of Zakynthos was completed by the Venetians in 1646 AD and the Winged Lion of Saint Mark, symbol of the Venetian empire, stands above the main entrance. Those times the castle was the seat and residence of the Venetian Proveditor, administrator of the island, and of other officials. Due to time, war attacks and earthquakes, the castle was partly damaged.
When the British Empire took over the Ionian islands in 1812, the castle was reconstructed and new buildings were built, including barracks, powder stores and the house of the British Parliament.
Many churches were also found inside the castle walls, such as the Byzantine Church of the Savior (San Salvatore or Domo) that dates from the 12th century, the 14th century Church of Saint Francis, the church of Santa Barbara, the church of Virgin Mary Laurentena and the church of Saint John the Baptist.