The Monastery of Agios Georgios Krimnon in Zakynthos: The Monastery of Agios Georgios Krimnon (or Gremnon, or Vrahon) is located on the northwestern side of the island, just above Navagio. In fact, a few meters from this monastery is the spot that gives the best view down to the beach and the Ionian Sea.
Founded in 1535, many renowned ecclesiastical men lived there, including Agios Gerasimos, the protector of Kefalonia, from 1549 until 1554, and another important religious figure, monk Pahomios Roussanos (1508-1553), originating from Zakynthos.
The katholikon (main church) of the monastery was decorated with wall paintings in 1606, but unfortunately, they have not survived. Generally, the monastery was largely destroyed by wars and pirates, and in fact, the stone watch tower next to the katholikon was constructed in 1561 to protect the monastery from pirates.
In Medieval times, the library of the monastery was very famous, but unfortunately, the manuscripts of monk Pahomios were later transported to Venice, where they are kept to this day. Over the years, restoration and electricity works were completed for the monastery, while the external space has been reformed for visitors.