The Town Hall of Corfu: The Town Hall of Corfu dominates in the square of the the Town Hall, in the Old Town. This is one of the best and most impressive Venetian architectural structures of the island. It was originally constructed between 1663 and 1693, when the island was under the Venetian occupation. The main materials used for the construction were marble and stone, while its size is huge.
At first, this building was used as a club for the noblemen, which is why the statue of the Italian noblemen Morosini was put in the eastern wall in 1691. In 1720, the building hosted the Noble Theatre of Saint Giacomo of Corfu and in 1903 it was turned into a Town Hall.
The Noble Theatre of Saint Giacomo of Corfu operated from 1733 to 1893 and it was the first Greek opera house. The first opera to be presented there was Gerone, tiranno di Siracusa by A. Aurelli. It attracted mostly Italian musicians and composers due to the Venetian occupation, while it also gave a stage to many Greek eminent musicians to present their works. In fact, the first Greek opera was presented there in 1867 on an exclusively Greek libretto.
In 1903, the Theatre turned into a Town Hall. Unfortunately, the building and its historical archives, which belonged to the Noble Theatre, were destroyed in the Second World War bombardment in 1943. That is when many other historical buildings in Corfu Old Town were also destroyed. Later on, this beautiful building was renovated.