Castle of Lykourgos Logothetis
The Castle of Lykourgos Logothetis in Pythagorio Samos: The Castle of Lykourgos Logothetis is a very significant structure in the history of Samos and Greece in general. A truly wonderful example of defensive architecture, the Castle was constructed in the 19th century using the remains of different archaeological monuments. It got its name after Lykourgos Logothetis, the local leader of the Revolution against the Turks. In fact, the Castle was the headquarters of the Revolution and played a vital role in it.
This 400m long Castle is located to the south west of the port of Pythagorio. It lies on a hill which is believed to be one of the oldest acropolis on Samos, since some prehistoric items have been found there. Next to the Castle, there is a church , constructed in 1824, when the revolutionaries managed to defeat the Turks. The church is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Christ and celebrates every year on August 6th.