Lesvos Sights & Attractions - Page 2
Makara is an important archeological site can be found in Apothikes. It took it name from Makareas, the first ruler of ancient Lesbos.
The Municipal Art Gallery is housed in an old typical mansion that belonged to Halim Bey. The gallery hosts one a valuable art collection.
The sanctuary is dedicated to Zeus. It was located close to the north border of the territory of the town of Ancient Pyrra.
Located in the village of Agia Paraskevi, central Lesvos, the Museum of Industrial Olive Oil Production is housed in an old communal olive press. It aims to present the technological development in olive oil production along centuries.
This monastery is located in Madamados, northern Lesvos. It was built in 1700, restored in 1879, and it is dedicated to the saint patron of Lesvos. The tradition says that the icon of Taxiarhes in this church was made of clay and the blood of some monks, slaughtered by pirates in the Medieval times.
This church is dedicated to Saint John the Healer. It is located in the center of Mytilene, the capital of Lesvos. The church is a three-aisled basilica with an impressive architecture of Neoclassical and Renaissance elements. The church was built in the 19th century and has beautiful icons.
The beautiful church of Saint Athanasios is located right in the center of the town of Mytilene and has a remarkable structure. It dates from the 17th century and the bell tower has Gothic elements. This is the Cathedral of Mytilene.
Housed in the renovated building of the old Port Authority of Mytilene, this museum houses various items related to the history and culture of Lesvos, such as everyday life objects, traditional costumes, clay vessels as well as rare book editions and manuscripts.
The temple is probably, dedicated to Apollo Napaeos and is dated to the 8th century BC, while it took its final appearance during the 6th century BC.
The Traditional House in Pamfila village is actually a folklore museum created by the Women Association of the village. Pamfila is found 7 km to the north of Mytilene and 2 km from Moria. The museum includes wooden furniture, old photographs, tools, textiles, and other items.
This museum opened its doors in 1978. It houses some rare Byzantine icons as well as vestments of priests, pieces of screens from various churches, manuscripts, ecclesiastical books, and other items.
This interesting museum is located right at the entrance of the Petrified Forest, 12 km from Sigri. It presents the evolution of plants on Earth from 3,5 billion years ago till the appearance of developed plants.