Anavatos Village in Chios
Information About Anavatos
Anavatos village Chios: Anavatos is a deserted village located 19km west of Chios Town. It was built on top of a hill, at an altitude of 450 meters above the sea with steep rocks, in true harmony with the natural environment. It is believed that this medieval settlement was founded for military purposes, particularly for the surveillance of the west coast of Chios. The village was abandoned after the catastrophic earthquake of 1881 and today it is a national monument for the island.
The old village preserves its Medieval frame with the fortress, the Church of Taxiarhis, the old school and the Church of Virgin Mary. In the lower part of Anavatos, there are still just a few inhabitants who welcome the visitors.
The locals demonstrate the historical place and their quality products (honey, plants, cheese and home desserts). There is a wonderful traditional coffee shop serving delicious desserts and mezedes. The village is connected with the center of Chios with a beautiful route of 45 minutes drive. There is also a great path, ideal for descent in the forest, starting from Provatas and leading to Anavatos.