Churches in Tinos
The island of Tinos is strongly connected to the Greek-Orthodox religion being the home to the famous church of Panagia Evangelistria (Virgin), the symbol of the island. However, visitors can see noteworthy ecclesiastical and architectural monuments of both Orthodox and Catholic religion that coexist at the main town and the nearby settlements. The island suggests countless examples of old and newly built churches and monasteries.
The church of Panagia Evangelistria is the most important Orthodox pilgrimage site of Greece, dominating the center of Tinos Town. It was built in 1823 on the site where the miraculous icon of Virgin was found. The church is an excellent example of religious architecture characterized by its well-decorated churches and courtyard. On August 15th, thousands of faithful arrive on the island for the great festival dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The Monastery of Agia Triada is equally worth seeing in Chora. It exists since 1610 in the island of Tinos and the monastery complex consists of a rich library, the monk cells, and a folklore museum.
At the highest mountain of Tinos lies the Convent of Kechrovouni. It was built in the 10th century and within its premises lies a beautiful church, a museum, and numerous cells. In Ktikados village you will come across the church of Ypapanti which entrance is a pure work of art with carved marble. One of the oldest churches of Tinos is found in the village Tripotamos, the church of Eisodion Theotokou (Presentation of the Virgin). Beautiful frescoes made in the last three centuries adorn its interior.
Built in the middle of a green oasis, the church of Panagia Vrysiou has become the center of Greek Catholics. The miraculous icon of the Virgin was made in the 15th century and a couple of centuries later a church was built dedicated to the Virgin.
In the village of Exoburgo lies the church of Sacred Heart. Today it is officially the most important pilgrimage site of the Greek Catholics. It was built in 1724 and within its premises, you will see a cave dedicated to Panagia Lourdi and a war memorial.
Finally, in Loutra village lies the historical Monastery of Ursulines. It was built in 1862 and until 1980 it was regarded as the educational center of Tinos where many young girls from the wealthiest families of Greece attended. For some time the monastery operated as the primary school of Loutra village and today it is open to the public.