Location: Ano Syros
The Jesuit Monastery of Syros: The Monastery of the Jesuits is located in Ano Syros, descending the steps from the church of Agios Georgios. It was founded in 1744 and the building got its present form in 1852. The Jesuit order was established in 1540, in Spain, by monk Ignatios Lagiolas. It was an instrument of the Pope, although it has benefited from the French protection as well.
The Jesuits developed an important role on helping the inhabitants of Syros to get in touch with the rest of the world and they flourished after the Turkish invasion in 1537, due to the special treaties between the Sultan and the French king. This Monastery, dedicated to Virgin Mary, is the only preserved Jesuit monastery on the island.
Today not Jesuits but two nuns live there, followers of Saint Clara. The monastery has a valuable library with 6,000 books, ancient inscriptions, icons and other objects of worship. Inside the monastery, there is the church of Panagia Karmilos.