Akrotiri Village in Santorini
Information About Akrotiri
Akrotiri Santorini: Akrotiri is located next to the famous Red Beach. It is ampitheatrically built at the southeastern side of the island. Akrotiri was originally a Minoan settlement and today is one of the major tourist attractions and the most important archeological site of Santorini.
The prehistoric town was destroyed due to a massive volcanic erruption around 1600 BC. Nowadays, the picturesque streets, the two-storey buildings, the lovely frescoes and plenty of tools witness the way of life in the prehistoric times.
Today, the beautiful frescoes of the ancient city of Akrotiri can only be seen in the National Archaeological Museum of Athens. Some splendid houses are dotted around the village as well as a traditional windmill. Many tour boats arrive in Akrotiri and tourists are scattered to the nearby beaches of the area. Another place of interest is the Venetian castle that dominates the settlement of Akrotiri.
The town has lovely hotels and also many local taverns with a splendid view to the sea. Akrotiri has plenty of churches to visit and one of the most beautiful is the church of Agios Nikolaos built right above the impressive redish rocks, on the way to the Red Beach.
Things To See And Do In Akrotiri
-How did you get to Akrotiri village: By scooter/motorbike
-Where is your accommodation located: At Fira camping
-How much time did it take you to reach Akrotiri village: 20 minutes approximately
-What are the conditions of the roads that take you to the village: Quite good
-Did you enjoy the trip to Akrotiri village: Yes, the views are quite good but the trip at the beginning near Fira is not so good
-In order to get to the village were enough signs in order to find it: It was perfectly indicated
-Why did you choose this particular village: Recommended by: brochure/magazine/newspaper/internet site and because we were near and we wanted to eat. The Guide du routard says theres good and cheap restaurants to eat
-How would you describe the village: Small cubic houses, clean, in the mainland, offering views, many churches, restaurants, cafes, cheap
-Can everything, one might need, be found in the village: Telephone, mini market, restaurants, cafes, bars, shops
- Did the Akrotiri village meet your expectations? No Rate: 5/10 It is not a really big village but it is quite nice. We saw only the principal road of the village so we dont know for the inside of the village
- Favorite thing about the village: The restaurant where we ate
- Is there anything that you dont like about the village or things that should be done by the authorities to improve it or is something missing: They should try to create organized walks geological because there are lots of sites to see. To explain the tourists all the creation of the island
- Any recommendations/tips for future visitors: To go and see the place
- Would you come to this village again: If the site of Akrotiri is open we will come back for a drink
Other recommend villages? Pyrgos, also the pedestrian streets of Fira. Also the sunset at Oia is really funny, to see everyone waits to see the sunset! Also the little walk we can do at Profitis Ilias