Naxos Sights & Attractions - Page 2
Nested in its eastern premises of the village of Filoti is the orthodox church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) Filotissa or Filotitissa; it is known with both names of the same origin, the village’s name.
The Folk Art Museum in Apiranthos shows a representation of the interior of a traditional house, exactly as it was in the 18th century.
Located in the picturesque village of Apiranthos, this Archaeological Museum houses a collection of findings brought to light by various archaeological excavations which are coming from different areas of Naxos island.
Vallindras is a distillery in the mountainous village of Halki, the old capital of Naxos island. The distillery was established in 1896 and it is still run by the same family. Today, it also works as a museum with interesting tools and equipment.
Close to the abandoned settlement of Metohi, outside the Kerami area, the church of Agioi Apostoloi constitutes a unique example of Byzantine architecture.
Close to the village of Ano Potamia, there is a hiking path leading to Epano Kastro, also known as the Castle of Tragea. This path is not easy but totally worth it when you reach up there.
The Orthodox Cathedral is dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi, which means the life-giving Virgin Mary. It is located in the north side of the capital and was built around 1787. In the interior of the church, fine wall paintings can be admired. Right next to the cathedral, there is the site of Ancient Naxos.
The Garinou Spring is located in a valley behind Kinidaros village, about 40 minutes walk. It is a verdant place with many water turtles. It can be accessible by car but only a 4x4.
The Geological Museum is located in the village of Apiranthos Naxos and it houses a rich collection of more than 2000 rare exhibits. The Geological Museum of Naxos is considered as one of the most interesting museums of this kind in Greece.
The exact year of its resurgence is not known, however, it is estimated that the imposing tower was built during the 17th century and is an architectural example of the post-Byzantine era. Following the tradition of other buildings of the tower genre that were extensively built around the Cyclades during the years of the Venetian and Ottoman sovereignty, the tower of Agia was originally the resort home of the Kokkoi family.
As with multiple Venetian structures in Naxos, this tower-house was also part of Barozzi family’s heritage. The impressive building is nested between the hills of Naxian land, a few kilometers away from Sangri village
Markopolitis-Papadakis tower is a beautiful and imposing Venetian tower located in the upper part of the village of Halki.
Chimaros Tower is one of the important monuments in Naxos. Along with Portara, this is a point of reference for the island, located between Filoti village and Kalandros beach.
The church of Panagia Mirtidiotissa is a lovely tiny chapel constructed on a small islet opposite the port. It is considered one of the trademarks of the island, along with the castle and the ancient temple of Portara standing on a hill, on the right side of the port.
The Olive Press Museum is hosted in a renovated olive press building in Eggares village, which is located at the western part of the island, under 8 kilometers from Chora.
The serene, whitewashed and built with impressive marble pieces orthodox church jewels the entrance of Naxian Apeiranthos village.
The Geometrical Era Necropolis is dated to the 9th-8th century BC. It is located near the village of Tsikalario, near Halki. Note that you need a 20 mn walk to reach the site.
Panagia tis Spilias (Virgin of the cave) is a church build in a cave, in the area of Damarionas village.
Archaeologists estimate that the tomb was built in 1300 BC with the purpose of becoming the last residence of a local ruler, whose identity, however, remains a secret due to the monument’s condition. Some suggest that it might be dedicated to Naxos, the first king of the island after whom it was named.
A local of the nearby Koronos village in Naxos visualized in their slumber a visit from a spiritual being that revealed a specific location. There an old icon was found and a church was built.
The Monastery of Agios Ioannis Chryssostomos is located on the hill of Grotta, 3 kilometers away from Naxos Town. Its main church is a beautiful construction dating back to the 17th century. From the monastery, one can enjoy a wonderful panoramic view of the island and the sea.
The Museum of Ancient Naxos is also known as the Metropolis (Cathedral) Museum. It is found in Chora, next to the church of Zoodochos Pigi. It contains exhibits from settlements on the island in the Mycenaean and Geometric Era. The actual site is also open to visitors.
The islet of Panagia Parthena is located in front of the beach of Mikri Vigla. The name is due to the little chapel on the islet. The church opens only once a year on the day of its celebration.
The stone settlement dates back at 25000 BC and consisted of 20 room spaces, circled by fortification that featured five towers. A magnificent achievement for its time, this settlement signifies the transition from the farming period to the hierarchical society.