Holy Apostles church in Athens
The Church of the Holy Apostles in Ancient Agora, Athens: The Church of the Holy Apostles is located on the western side of the Ancient Agora of Athens and it dates from the middle 10th century. This church is particularly significant as this is the only monument in the Agora, other than the Temple of Hephaestus, to survive intact since its foundation.
The architecture of the church is also significant as it marks the beginning of the so-called "Athenian type", combining the simple four-pier with the cross-in-square forms. The altar and floor were from marble. The floor plan had a cross with apses on four sides and four columns supporting the dome. Many interesting wall paintings from the 17th century survive in this church.
Constructed partly over a 2nd-century sanctuary of the Nymphes (nymphaioin) and partly on a demolished Byzantine residence, the Church of the Holy Apostles is also known as Holy Apostles of Solaki. The Solakis were either the family who sponsored a later renovation of the church or a family who populated the area around the chapel in the 19th century. The last restoration of the church was between 1954 and 1957.