The Municipal Gallery of Athens: The Municipal Gallery of Athens was founded in 2010 and at present is housed in a Neoclassical building in Avdi Square, Metaxourgio. This renovated building was constructed in 1834-35 by Danish architect Hans Christian Hansen and it is one of the oldest classic buildings in Athens with great history. Although it was originally meant to be a commercial center along the lines of the European commercial centers of that time, it was neglected from its construction till 1852, when an Austrian company purchased it to make it a steam silk plant.
However, the plant never worked because the company bankrupted. For the next year, the building was turned into a hospital, while from 1855 till 1875 it housed the silk company Siriki Greece. After many uses, such as garrison headquarters in 1944, shop and residences, the building was eventually donated to the Municipality of Athens in 1994.
The Municipal Gallery of Athens hosts permanent and short-term art exhibitions by the most important modern Greek artists and few works of foreign artists. In fact, the gallery owns about 3,000 pieces, most of them created in the 19th and 20th century. The gallery also includes an interesting collection of engravings, with works by great masters of this art, their followers and other young engravers. Frequently, the Municipal Gallery organizes seminars and workshops for children. Admission to the Municipal Gallery of Athens is free.
Address: Myllerou 32 and Leonidou, Avdi Square, Metaxourgio
Phone: (+30) 210 3243 023
The photo is from wikipedia.org