Monastery of Agios Georgios
The Monastery Tower of Agios Georgios in Skyros: The Monastery Tower of Agios Georgios (Saint George) stands in the Castle above Chora, the capital of Skyros. This monastery was probably built in the middle 13th century and at first it belonged to the Orthodox Patriarchate of Constantinople. The monastery belongs to the Megisti Lavra monastery of Mount Athos since the midlle ages.
The premises have been well-preserved since their construction during the Venetian and Ottoman conquests of the island. The main church of Saint George was built between 1599 and 1602, as indicates the marble sign on the bell tower. The interior of the church has valuable frescoes and a wooden carved iconostasis.
In 2001, serious damages occured in the monastery from an earthquake and it was completely renovated. Recently the monastery opened again for visit and it remains open in the daytime. From the balcony of the west side, visitors get a magnificent view of Chora and the island.