building was demolished and completely rebuilt according
to the Hydriot traditional architecture in 1972.
The building was demolished and completely rebuilt according to Hydra's traditional architecture in 1972.
It is located nearby the ferry docks, on the eastern side of the harbour and houses a collection of portraits, an important collection of the town's archives (18 000 documents) relating the history and the culture of Hydra, small objects of the 18th and 19th century, various exhibits from the Balkan wars and from the First and Second World War, and beautiful local traditional costumes including the karamani, dark coloured trousers which used to be the typical masculine attire.
A Library with 4800 books (from the 18th century since today) can also be visited on the first floor.
|| most illustrious families of Hydra, and wonderfully restored in the 1990s.
Lazaros Koundouriotis was a ship owner who devoted himself entirely to the Greek Revolution against the Turkish yoke, using its ship and its fortune to finance and help the independence war.
His young brother, George, helped him in his donation and battle and his grandson, Pavlos, became the first president of the modern Greek State in 1924.
The beautiful mansion was donated by Lazaros great-grandson, Pantelis Koundouriotis, to the Historical and Ethnological Society of Greece in 1979.
||In the basement house, three rooms exhibit a superb collectionof
paintings made by Periklis Vyzantinos and his son.
The Byzantine Museum of Hydra is housed in a renovated, decorated monk’s cell, in the old Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin (Kimissis tis Theotokou), located on Hydra Town and recognisable from its beautiful high marble bell tower.
It is a small museum exhibiting a collection of ecclesiastical relics and items dating from the 18th and 19th century, such as fine icons and frescoes, embroideries, holy vessels and vestments, ecclesiastical utensils and magnificent ornate Gospel covers.
The Cathedral museum is housed in the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin which stands in the centre of Hydra’s main port.