Halkidiki Nikiti Village
Nikiti village Halkidiki: Nikiti is located at the entrance of Sithonia peninsula, 35 km south east of Poligiros, the capital of Halkidiki. It is an old, traditional village, combining dense pine trees with amazing beaches. In the area surrounding Nikiti, many prehistoric settlements have been found. In Classical times, the most significant city was Galipsos, situated south of Nikiti.
In 432 BC, the city broke free from with the Athenian alliance and many of its inhabitants moved to the city of Olynthos.In 1300, the whole area was taken by the Athonite monasteries and in the 14th century, farmers from the dependency of the Xenophontos Monastery of Mont Athos, called Neakitou, moved in the area. With the passing of time, the residents grew, and, in the 15th century, the small settlement became an independent village.
Today, the area offers plenty of accommodation options, taverns and cafes along the waterfront. From the port many boats depart for the nearest beaches and villages of Halkidiki.