Corfu Churches

Catholic church
Guide to churches in Corfu island, Greece

The entire island of Corfu is filled with historic churches and beautiful religious monuments that mark its rich history through the ages. One of the churches that can literally take your breath away is the church of Agios Spyridon located in the heart of the town. It was built in 1589 and it is one of the island's attractions for its imposing bell tower that rises above the entire Venetian settlement. Saint Spyridon is the protector of the island, related to many miracles.

South of the old town is the area of Paleopolis, home to numerous historic buildings. Among them is the church of Saint Jason and Sosipater, dedicated to the two saints, who preached Christianity in the island of Corfu. It is a characteristic example of Byzantine architecture that still survives to this day.

The monastery of Paleokastritsa is one of the trademarks of Corfu located on top of Paleokastritsa cape. It stands on the middle of a lush green forest and the view from the monastery is absolutely majestic.

In the modern town of Corfu, close to the main port is found the monastery of Platytera dedicated to the Virgin. It is famous for the total number of frescoes that adorn its interior. At the highest spot of the island lies the monastery of Pantokrator, one of the best-preserved buildings with beautiful courtyards. It is a famous pilgrimage site in Corfu and offers one of the best views to the endless Ionian Sea and the entire island. It is worth refering on the Catholic community that has played a predominant role in the island of Corfu, due to which many churches were built in the town and the villages. The church of Saint James is the Catholic cathedral of Corfu.

Want to visit these beautiful churches?
Book your car rental with!

Share it!  

List with the most beautiful churches

Location: Town
34 photos   

The church of Saint Spyridon is located in the Old Town of Corfu, right behind Liston. It has the largest bell tower of all churches in the city and it is its red dome that visitors first see when they arrive by boat to Corfu. This saint is the protector of the island, as the myth says that he saved the town from a plague in the 17th century.

Location: Paleokastritsa
77 photos   

Built in the 13th century on the hill of Paleokastritsa, the monastery houses a small museum with Byzantine and post Byzantine icons. The museum gives great views to the sea and it is open to visit.

Location: Town
6 photos   

Located in the quarter of Garitsa, this church was constructed in the 10th century and has a cross-in-square style. It is dedicated to Jason and Sosipater, the first Corfiot men who became Christians.

Location: Town
4 photos   

Located in the suburb of Mandouki, the monastery was first built in 1743 and renovated after its destruction, in 1799, during the Franco Russian-Turk War. In this monastery, there is the grave of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of the independent Greek State.

Pantokrator Monastery
Location: Strinilas
10 photos   

The Monastery of Pantokrator is located on top of the highest mountain of the island, on the northern side of Corfu. Access is done through a truck road but the incredible view rewards visitors.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Location: Town

The church of the Holy Trinity in Corfu was established in 1864 to serve the needs of the vast British populace on the island that time. During the Second World War, it was damaged by German bombs and reopened in 1971. Today this Anglican church works normally and has a very active role in the local community. It frequently organizes craft groups, bible studies, meetings of the pilgrimages and public conversations.

Photos of churches in Corfu (28)
Related pages
Featured Hotels
Delfino BluOceanisMenigos ResortCorfu Palace
The Community
Our Services
Car rentalFerriesHotelsToursIsland hopping packagesCustomized holiday

Other social networks


Be the first to get news and special offers!