All 12 Syros Sightseeing
Here are all the Syros sightseeing that we suggest. Have a look on various attractions that you can see during your visit in Syros, such as churches, monasteries, museums, castles and other sights.
All sightseeing in Syros
Constructed in 1864 by the French architect Chabeau, the Apollo Theatre of Syros is located on Miaouli Sq, Ermoupolis. It frequently hosts interesting performances, exhibitions and lectures.
Located near the wonderful cathedral of Agios Georgios, the Jesuit Monastery of Agios Ioannis (Saint Jean) was founded in 1535 to help the poor. It obtained its present appearance in 1852. It houses some beautiful icons, ancient inscriptions, various objects of worship and an important library of 6000 old books and manuscripts.
The church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary is among the most important churches of Ermoupolis. Inside, it has a holy icon of Virgin Mary, made by the famous painter El Greco.
The Museum of Cycladic Art is located in Ermoupolis, near Miaouli Square. It exhibits an interesting collection of Cycladic art and findings from the Cycladic period excavated in Syros and in other Cycladic islands.
The Monastery of the Jesuits is located in Ano Syros and works since the 18th century. Today it hosts a valuable library and its two nuns are followers of Saint Clara.
This museum is dedicated to Markos Vamvakaris, a famous rembetiko musician in Greece, who was born in Ano Syros. It hosts some personal items and photos of the musician.
Vaporia is the most picturesque quarter of Ermoupolis, with elegant buildings just above the sea. In this quarter, there is the church of Saint Nicolas, the patron saint of the island.
This impressive building houses the Town Hall of Ermoupolis and it is the trademark of the island. It was constructed in the Neoclassical architecture by Ernst Ziller, a famous architect in Greece. The Town Hall is located in Miaouli square.
The wonderful Church of Resurrection was built in 1870 on top of Vrodado Hill, above Ermoupolis and offers a terrific view of the neighbouring islands of Tinos and Mykonos.
The church of Agios Nikolaos is located close to the port of Ermoupolis. This impressive church was built in the 19th century and it has two tall bell towers.
The Archaeological Museum of Syros is housed in the Town Hall, Miaouli Square. It was established in 1835 and includes exhibits from excavations in Halandriani Syros and other Cycladic islands, such as Amorgos and Kythnos.
The Industrial Museum is housed in three old factories in Ermoupolis. It houses old machinery and tools from factories around the island, maps, architectural designs, pictures of local painters and ship models.
Be the first to get news and special offers!