All 22 Paros Sightseeing
Here are all the Paros sightseeing that we suggest. Have a look on various attractions that you can see during your visit in Paros, such as churches, monasteries, museums, castles and other sights.
All sightseeing in Paros
The little church of Agios Ioannis Detis (Saint John) was built in the 17th century. It is located in the rocky coast of Monastiri, in the huge bay of Naoussa. This area offers a superb beach attracting many visitors for its great beauty.
The ancient cemetery of Paros is located close to the modern port of Parikia and it is one of the most important ancient cemeteries of Cyclades. Archaeological evidence show that it was in use from the 8th century BC.
The Quarries of Marathi worked from the first Cycladic times (3rd millenium BC) till recently. Visitors will see underground corridors and buildings of the 19th century. Many statues of the antuquity were made of Parian marble, which is considered of fine quality.
Aqua Paros is one of the biggest water parks in Greece and uses sea water instead of the common artificial water. It has many slides and other games for young and adults. There is a bus that leaves from Parikia and goes you to the Park.
The Archaeological Museum of Paros is located in the capital town, Parikia. It hosts findings from excavations on the island, mostly from the sanctuaries of Apollo and Asklepios. The most famous exhibit is the statue of Gorgo.
The Byzantine Art Gallery of Marpissa is found close to the central square of the village and hosts mostly religious exhibits.
Housed in the Church of Ekatontapiliani, the Byzantine Museum of Parikia exhibits a collection of rare and valuable icons, various religious relics and other ecclesiastical items dating from the post-Byzantine period.
In the mountainous village of Lefkes, there stands the main church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity), built in 1830. This church is very beautiful and impressive. It has been constructed with the fine semi-transparent marble of Paros.
In close distance from the small port of Naoussa, there is the church of Agios Antonios. Constructed in the traditional style, this church is the protector of all fishermen on Paros.
The Folklore Art Museum of Lefkes is exhibiting a collection of various every day objects, utensils, embroideries, textiles, tools and more, showing the traditional life of the inhabitants of Paros in the past.
Few kilometres from Parikia, there is the Monastery of Jesus of the Woods, built on top of a hill and offering a splendid view of the island of Antiparos. This convent was built in the 18th century and it is actually a nunnery.
The monastery of Longovarda is located 6 km away from Parikia and it was founded in 1638. This is the largest monastery of the island and it is famous for the attractive and interesting architecture. It also houses a library in which rare and valuable manuscripts are safely guarded and a book making workshop. The icons and frescoes located inside the church are worth seeing.
On a hill overlooking Kolimbithres, remains of an old Mycenaen town have been found. According to scientists, the acropolis was built in the 13th century BC.
The Byzantine Museum is housed in the church of Agios Athanasios, at the entrance of Naoussa. It has many Byzantine and post-Byzantine icons, crosses and nice ecclesiastical items.
The sanctuaries of Asklepios and Apollo Pythios are located on a hill overlooking Parikia, the capital village of Paros. Today only a few remains can be seen in the area, but still this is one of the few archaeological sites on the island.
The Sculpture Museum of Paros is found in Marpissa village and it is dedicated to the local artist, Nikos Perantinos. This museum also organizes sculpture courses in summer.
This special museum is situated in Aliki and houses crafts made by the artist Benetos Skiadas. It hosts a collection of a miniature collection of sailing boats, fishing boats and ships.
This valley is located near the Monastery of Jesus of the Woods. In hot months, butterflies go there to reproduce. Such a natural reseve is found only in two places in Greece, Paros and Rhodes.
The small Venetian Castle that is found in the old port of Naoussa was originally constructed in the 15th century and served as a watchtower. Today, only part of this fortress survives and constitutes the most characterist spot of the town.
In the fishing village of Naoussa, there is a wine and vine museum in an old building that was owned by winemaker Ioannis Boutaris.
The Monastery of Panagia Ekatontapiliani (Virgin Mary of the Hundred Doors) is located near Parikia and this is one of the oldest churches in Paros. The tradition says that this monastery was constructed by the orders of Saint Helene, while she was traveling to the Holy Lands to find the Cross of Jesus Christ.
The Castle of Parikia was constructed in 1260 by the Venetians. Parts of ancient temples were used for its construction. Today, this is a picturesque quarter in Parikia.
Be the first to get news and special offers!