The Venetian Loggia in Rethymno Crete: The Loggia of Rethymno is a 16th century Venetian building situated right in the centre of the Old Town of Rethymno. It is a wonderful square building with three visible walls, each provided with three equal semicircular arches. The middle arch provides an entrance at the ground level. The southern side of this elegant structure has no opening.
The Loggia of Rethymno used to be the meeting place of the noble people of the town to discuss economic and political issues. It also acted as a hosting place for many business and entertainment activities of the Venetians.
The Loggia was built according to the plans of the well-known Veronese engineer Michele Sanmicheli. There are two statues with human faces on the west wall. In the year 1625, an upper storey was added to the main building. It was converted into a mosque after the fall of Rethymnon to the Turks. A turret was built on the west side of the mosque, but it was pulled down in the 1930s.
The Loggia is a few yards away from the Venetian harbour, directly opposite to it. There is a narrow passage near the centre of the Venetian harbour that leads to this elegant Venetian structure. At present, Loggia belongs to the Ministry of Culture and hosts the Archaeological Museum of Rethymno.