The Monastery of Panagia Kaliviani in Heraklion Crete: The Monastery of Panagia Kaliviani is located in the inland of Crete, in the mountainous regions between the prefectures of Rethymno and Heraklion. Situated at a distance of 5 km from Moires village, the monastery took its name from the closeby village of Kalivia, which is why it has been named Panagia (Virgin Mary) Kaliviani.
The monastery probably dates from the late 19th or the early 20th century as its exact date that is was founded is unknown. The tradition has it that the location where this monastery is built belonged to the property of a Turkish man. However, when a Holy Icon of the Virgin was found in this field, the Turkish administration gave this field to the Orthodox people to construct a church.
This small chapel was built in 1911 and can be seen today in the yard of the Monastery. It has three aisles and each one of them is dedicated to the Birth, the Pronunciation and the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Its architecture style belongs to the Byzantine era. The holy icon of the Virgin can be found inside the new chapel.