All 36 Chania Sightseeing
Here are all the Chania sightseeing that we suggest. Have a look on various attractions that you can see during your visit in Chania, such as churches, monasteries, museums, castles and other sights.
All sightseeing in Chania
The Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) Tsagarolon is located in the peninsula of Akrotiri, very close to the airport of Chania. This monastery is impressive with its size. Established in the 18th century, it helped a lot in the Cretan Revolution against the Ottomans.
The ruins of Ancient Aptera can be found at the entrance of Souda Bay, next to the tourist place of Kalami. The founder of Aptera, whose name means "with no wings", is believed to have been Glaukos. Archaeological excavations first started in the 1860s and they are continued till today.
In close distance to the beach of Falassarna, there is the archaeological site of Ancient Falassarna that includes a harbour, an acropolis and a cemetery. This was a major trading centre in the ancient times and even had its own coins.
On the low hill of Kastelli above the Venetian port of Chania Town, there are the remains of Ancient Kydonia. The excavations revealed many tombs and pots from the Minoan and the Mycenaean period.
The Archaeological Museum of Chania is located in the Catholic Church of Saint Francis, close to the Venetian Harbor of Chania. Its exhibits give a view of the region's history from the Neolithic till the Roman times.
The Arsenali Centre was recently established and its primary goal is to promote Mediterranean art and architecture as an element of connection between Greece, the Mediterranean countries and the whole Europe.
The War Museum of Askyfou hosts the private collection of George Hatzidakis, that includes guns, carbines, revolvers, canons and even German bombs from the Second World War.
At a distance of 15 km from Chania Town, there is this lovely park that extends for nearly 20 hectares of land. There you can see traditional species of flora and fauna of Crete.
The bridge of Aradaina, at a height of 138m over an impressive gorge, is the highest bungee jumping spot of the Balkans and the only in Greece. A bungee jumping company organizes dives in summer.
The Byzantine and post-Byzantine Collection of Chania is housed in the church of San Salvatore. It hosts icons, frescoes, golden jewerly, Venetian coins and many other exhibits.
Gramvoussa is a small islet off the exotic beach of Balos, western Crete. On top of this islet, there is a steep castle built by the Venetians between 1579 and 1582. The view from the this castle is breathtaking.
The Catholic Church of Saint Francis is the largest Venetian church of the town. Later, the Turks transformed it into a mosque and now it houses the Archaeological Museum of Chania.
This is the Metropolitan Church of Chania Town and it is dedicated to the Annunciation of Virgin Mary. The construction of this church was completed in 1860.
The clock tower of Chania Town (or "To Roloi") is located on the north eastern part of the Municipal Garden, along Dimokratias Street. Its construction started in 1924 and was completed in 1927 using river sand, one of the cheapest resources back then. It was designed by the local engineer D. Kollaris.
The British Commonwealth War Cemetery of Souda Bay is located on the road from the port of Souda to the airport of Chania. In this cemetery are engraved soldiers of the British Commonwealth who died during the War of Crete (May 1941) and the Resistant War that followed till the end of the Second World War.
The Folklore Museum of Chania is located in the loft of a Catholic Church. It houses two pesonal collections with folklore items, clothes and agricultural tools from Crete of past decades.
The fortess of Itzedin (or Izzedine) was constructed by the Turks in 1816. It is located on a hill that overlooks the bay of Souda, the White Mountains and the inland of Crete.
Constructed by the Venetians in the 13th century, this fortress is found on the hill above Paleochora, southern Chania. The name Selino means cellery in Greek and probably comes from this plant that abounds in the region.
On a hill above the beach of Maleme, there is the German War Cemetery. This is where German soldiers are buried, who died in Crete during the Second World War.
The Monastery of Gouverneto is also known as the Monastery of the Lady of the Angels. It is located in the peninsula of Akrotiri, east of Chania Town. This monastery looks like a fortress and it is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin.
The excavations at the Kastelli quarter proved that present day Chania was built on the site of ancient Kydonia which was a flourishing city during the Roman period.
The Monastery of Gonia is located on a hill above Kolimbari. It was constructed in the 17th century and it has suffered much damage along its history.
The Fortress of Souda stands on a small islet in the Gulf of Souda. It was constructed by the Venetians to protect the area from enemies and pirates. Works for its construction began in 1570. A small chapel of Saint Nicolas also stands on the islet.
It used to be the religious centre of South West Crete and was the only city in this area, besides Irtakina, minting gold coins. There are a number of ruins in the area, the most notable being that of the Temple of Asklepios who was the Greco-Roman god of healing.
In the peninsula of Akrotiri, above Chania Town, there are the tombs of the Greek prime minister Eleftherios Venizelos and his son Sophocles Venizelos. Both politicians are very respected in Crete. This location offers great view to Chania Town and the Aegean Sea.
Located on a hill with breathtaking view to the bay of Souda, this castle was built to overlook the entire area. Although the walls are strong, some renovations need to be done.
The Typography Museum of Chania was recently founded with the efforts of a local journalist. It is found in the Park of Local Industries in Souda and exhibits old seals, banknotes, pressing machines, rare books and other items.
One of the most enduring landmarks in Chania is the 16th century Venetian shipyards. It is known for its historical vaulted buildings. The buildings of this area were purposely constructed for ship building which flourished in Chania in the 16th century.
The War Museum is housed in a building of 1870 and presents the fightings of the Cretans inside and outside their island. It hosts rare photographs and relics of the most important 20th century fights.
The lighthouse of Chania is found in the Venetian Harbour and this is the symbol of the town. Originally built by the Venetians in the 16th century, the lighthouse was reconstructed by the Egyptians in the 19th century.
The Ottoman Baths are found in the Venetian Harbor of Chania Town and they used to host the Turkish Hammams. Today they are not in use but they have become a landmark of the city.
The Gorge of Samaria is one of the largest gorges in Europe and a popular hiking destination in Crete. It extends for 17 km and gives its visitors a view of impressive landscape. This is the home of rare species of flora and fauna and an abandoned village is seen on the way.
The Monastery of Virgin Mary Chrissoskalitissa is located on top of a hill above Elafonissi beach, on the south western coast of Chania. Inside the monastery, there is a small museum with Byzantine icons, rare manuscripts and folklore items.
Built by the Venetians in 1371, Frangokastello is one of the landmarks of Crete. It is an imposing structure with an exciting and mysterious story: people report to have seen the ghosts of fighters on the beach in some dawns of May.
Lake Kourna is the only lake with fresh water in Crete. It is situated in a magnificent location, just 4km away from Georgioupolis Chania. The lake is surrounded by a greenery environment with rare plants and trees.
The Naval Museum of Crete is housed in Firka Tower, at the entrance of the Venetian Harbor of Chania. This interesting museum houses a collection of ship models from the ancient till modern times and other maritime exhibits.
Be the first to get news and special offers!