Agia Triada Tsagarolon
The Monastery of Agia Triada Tsagarolon in Chania: The Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) Tsagarolon is located about 20 km north east of Chania town, in the peninsula Aktorini. This is an impressive monastery and in fact, it is the largest of all monasteries in Crete. Its architecture has elements of the Venetian and the Cretan Renaissance style and a rather austere style. A big yard is found in the centre and a couple of beautiful chapels are included within the Monastery.
According to some old documents, the Monastery of Agia Triada Tsagaroli was founded in the early 17th century by the brothers Lavrentios and Ieremias Tsagarolon, from whom it took its name. These brothers were both monks and came from a Venetian Orthodox family.
The monastery flourished in the 18th century and its monks took part in the Greek Revolution and the Cretan fight for independence in the end of the 19th century, as all the monasteries of Crete did. Particularly famous for his action was abbot Gregorios Papadopetrakis, who played an important role in the Cretan Revolutions of 1866 and 1878. Because of the revolutionary action of its monks, the monastery was burnt and plundered by the Turks in 1821, who took most of the relics.
In 1855, the monastery was renovated and in 1892, it turned into a Theologian School. The library that is kept till today has many rare books and manuscripts. In the yard of the monastery, you will find the chapels of Saint Apostles and of Saint Crucifixion.